Seven Good Reasons To Consider Calling An Earthship Home

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Locas
Senior Community Member
Senior Community Member

Date Registered : 2014-12-18

Seven Good Reasons To Consider Calling An Earthship Home Empty
PostSubject: Seven Good Reasons To Consider Calling An Earthship Home   Seven Good Reasons To Consider Calling An Earthship Home Empty2014-12-27, 11:11 pm

An earthship is a type of passive solar home made from natural and recycled materials. What’s incredible about them is how luxurious they can be, but how practical and environmentally friendly they are. These are the ideal homes to build if you want to live off the land and off the grid. Here are 10 good reasons to consider calling an earthship home.

1. Earth Ships just kinda kick ass
I mean, just look at it! Who wouldn’t want to live there. It might be made in part from garbage, but it has a pretty amazing feel. I can say for sure that I wouldn’t mind living in one of these homes.

2. Grow your own food!
Incorporating a passive solar heating system into an earthship is a pretty key part of its design. Another additional benefit? Passive solar systems can serve as greenhouses too, rendering your home a mini-farm as well. Just think, fresh tomatoes year round. Doesn’t that sounds incredible?

Seven Good Reasons To Consider Calling An Earthship Home Earthships_7-960x6401-625x416

3. Water efficient – perfect for desert conditions.
Live in an arid climate? No problem! Earthships are typically built to harvest rainwater and recycle as much of that water as possible. Water collected on the roof is funneled into a cistern which distributes the water to sinks and showers. Unusable water, or “gray water” can be pumped from the bathroom to the greenhouse for use on plants. Pretty brilliant, huh? Not a drop wasted.

4. Free energy!
Earthships are incredible energy efficient, which means a few solar panels and maybe a wind turbine is all you need to keep it powered. In terms of heating, you can have a furnace installed, but even where I live in Colorado, local Earthships often don’t drop below 50 degrees in the winter.

5. No Bills!
One benefit to living off the grid? No bills. Looking at the small heap of bills on my desk right now, this thought has me drooling.

6. Easy to Build
One couple relayed their story about building their home on their own with no help from anyone else in just three months. They weren’t experts either! Seems pretty simple to me.

7. Inexpensive
How much does building an Earthship cost? Not much if you use a lot of recycled materials. It’s entirely possible to build an Earthship for $7,000. Can you say “no more mortgage?”
I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to move in! But what do you think? Could you handle living in an Earthship? Sound off in the comments!

3. Water efficient – perfect for desert conditions.
Live in an arid climate? No problem! Earthships are typically built to harvest rainwater and recycle as much of that water as possible. Water collected on the roof is funneled into a cistern which distributes the water to sinks and showers. Unusable water, or “gray water” can be pumped from the bathroom to the greenhouse for use on plants. Pretty brilliant, huh? Not a drop wasted.

4. Free energy!
Earthships are incredible energy efficient, which means a few solar panels and maybe a wind turbine is all you need to keep it powered. In terms of heating, you can have a furnace installed, but even where I live in Colorado, local Earthships often don’t drop below 50 degrees in the winter.

5. No Bills!
One benefit to living off the grid? No bills. Looking at the small heap of bills on my desk right now, this thought has me drooling.

6. Easy to Build
One couple relayed their story about building their home on their own with no help from anyone else in just three months. They weren’t experts either! Seems pretty simple to me.

7. Inexpensive
How much does building an Earthship cost? Not much if you use a lot of recycled materials. It’s entirely possible to build an Earthship for $7,000. Can you say “no more mortgage?”
I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to move in! But what do you think? Could you handle living in an Earthship? Sound off in the comments!

Source: expandedconsciousness
Back to top Go down

Seven Good Reasons To Consider Calling An Earthship Home
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1